Skip repetitive navigational links
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001)Back to main TX-BUTTERFLY pageJoin or leave TX-BUTTERFLY (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:53:35 -0500
Sender:       Butterfly and Lepidoptery for the state of Texas
From:         Pauline Singleton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Black Witch

I am a new user, and find TX-BUTTERFLY very interesting. Someone asked if the Black Witch sightings were typical or not, and is there a local breeding population. I cannot give a definitive answer to the question, but will simply share my experience. I have lived in Harris County for more than fifty years (I'm not going to say how much more). As a kid, I was very interested in butterflies and moths. I spent a lot of time outdoors, and I collected them. And then, for many years, butterflies & moths took a back seat to lots of other things, but I still spent a lot of time outdoors. I never saw a Black Witch until September 21, 1998, when I saw one in Baytown. Of course I didn't see everything, but you would think I would have seen one occasionally if they were very common. I didn't see my second BW until this year. I had some plum trees that dropped some of their fruit, and it was on the ground. On 6-8-01, I checked the plums trees to see if I could find some plums that were still good. And there, feasting on a rotting plum, was a Black Witch. And then I saw another. And another. And another! Four of them! I certainly hope that "La Diabla" doesn't bring bad luck! (The story about the Mexican cab driver was hilarious.) The next day, June 9, my husband saw one in Liberty County. I saw my last one June 14. I wonder if Tropical Storm Allison had anything to do with their abundance? They are interesting, and they certainly can startle a person under the right circumstances. My husband went to check the oil in his truck, and as he raised the hood, a Black Witch fluttered, bat-like, right up in his face. Nearly made him hurt himself! Pauline Singleton Baytown ====================================== To unsubscribe, send the message SIGNOFF TX-BUTTERFLY to [log in to unmask] To change to the daily digest, send the message SET TX-BUTTERFLY DIGEST to [log in to unmask] TX-BUTTERFLY archives: <http://listserv.uh.edu/archives/tx-butterfly.html>